Gluten-Free Lunch Inspiration
Lost for gluten-free lunch ideas? Don’t worry! Here’s a list of our favourite tasty and nutritious gluten-free meals that are perfect for a lunchtime bite to eat!
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
Courtesy of Elena’s Pantry
What could be more filling and warming than a big bowl of delicious soup? Here’s a recipe for our favourite butternut squash and apple soup. Don’t forget to add a roll of freshly baked gluten-free bread on the side!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 2 inch cubes
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 cups chicken stock or water
- Warm the olive oil in a large pan
- Caramelize onion, sautéing for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Add cubes of butternut squash, apple slices and cinnamon and cook for 10 minutes
- Pour stock into the pan and bring mixture to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Puree soup in very small batches (for safety)
- Serve hot
Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus
Courtesy of Deliciously Ella
For a light snack at lunchtime, a bowl of hummus accompanied by carrot sticks and warm gluten-free bread is an ideal, healthy choice. For a slightly more flavoursome hummus, try this sun dried tomato and basil recipe.
- Two 400g tins of chickpeas
- Two 170g jars of sun-dried tomatoes
- 15 tablespoons of olive oil
- 10 tablespoons of water
- A big handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 juicy lemons
- 3 heaped tablespoons of tahini
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 teaspoons of cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain chickpeas, juice lemons and peel garlic
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Serve with warm bread, fresh carrot sticks and enjoy!
Portobello Mushroom Stuffed Pizza
Courtesy of The Model Foodie
Who doesn’t love pizza? We certainly do! But if you’re looking for a tasty alternative to a traditional pizza base, then this recipe is the one for you.
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4-6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 chillies, diced
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Basil for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F.
2. Place Portobello mushrooms on a baking tray, stem side up.
3. Fill the middle of each mushroom with half of the spinach leaves, ¼ cup of the tomato sauce. Layer the sliced Mozzarella and sliced cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 15min or until the cheese starts to bubble.
4. Remove from the oven and garnish with Parmesan cheese, basil and more marinara sauce if desired.